Six Tips To Help Prevent Falls
According to the CDC, more than one out of four people over 65 will fall each year. At RCPT, we treat plenty of seniors that have experienced a fall.
Here are 6 tips to help you prevent falls:
- See your doctor or pharmacist to review your medications, since many can make you dizzy or sleepy.
- Have your eyes checked regularly since poor vision can increase your risk of falling.
- Make sure you are wearing shoes with adequate support.
- Vitamin D supplementation is encouraged for improved bone, muscle and nerve health.
- Exercise regularly because the stronger you are the less likely you are to fall.
- Make your home safer by removing clutter, removing throw rugs, installing grab bars in the bathroom and using not-slip mats in the bathtub and on shower floors.
If you have fallen in the last year, are fearful of falling, or feel unsteady when you are walking Rehab Concepts Physical Therapy offers an evidence-based Fall Prevention program that has been proven to reduce falls by up to 40%. Give us a call and we will come up with a plan that works for you.